User Tag List

Thread: A quiet convention country?

Default A quiet convention country?

Hi guys. I became a member in here out of curiosity for the Norwegian Japan-themed convention world and its people.

Now, in Scandinavia (Well.. Or in the north) Norway is seen as being EXTREMELY quiet about their conventions.
    As a main organizer of the Danish convention Genki, I get to speak to a lot of our Swedish and Finnish partners and friends who all agrees with this. I’ve been wondering how it could be. After finding this community board I pretty much discovered that you’ve got a ton of conventions, actually more than the double of what we have in Denmark and that’s really great to see!

- With this said, why do you think that your country's conventions and events are barely known and hard to find info about online if you look for them as a foreigner? And do you see Denmark, Sweden and/or Finland the same way as we see you, hard to find info about or hidden away behind a single convention? (In this case, the only Norwegian con the most of us knew about was Desucon).

Feel free to answer this topic in Norwegian if you for some reason don’t want to reply in English. I simply write in English in case that someone finds Danish as a minor language barrier at some points

Default Re: A quiet convention country?

I was only aware of RopeCon in Finland and UppCon in Sweden before being introduced to some cons by other people. I'm fairly sure you are just as "silent" compared to us.

... or that we just don't care about your cons!

Quote Originally Posted by ilifin View Post
    ... or that we just don't care about your cons!
    Guess that's a question about personal taste and interest But thanks for the input

Global Moderator
    Pumpecrew

It might also be because apart from Desucon most of the Norwegian conventions are rather new? Except Desucon (which will be arranged for the seventh time this year), I don't think any of the other conventions have been arranged more than two or three times. And as it would take a few years for the convention to grow and the word to spread, especially across the borders, it might not be so strange that you haven't heard of them yet?

Administrator
    Pumpecrew

Quote Originally Posted by Heika-sama View Post
    It might also be because apart from Desucon most of the Norwegian conventions are rather new? Except Desucon (which will be arranged for the seventh time this year), I don't think any of the other conventions have been arranged more than two or three times. And as it would take a few years for the convention to grow and the word to spread, especially across the borders, it might not be so strange that you haven't heard of them yet?
    Most of the conventions are rather small too, and probably doesn't attract much attention outside of the local area (yet anyway). I'm not paying too much attention to Norwegian or Scandinavian conventions in general, but I believe most of the conventions (in Norway) doesn't market themselves to foreigners either. I think most of the webpages are in Norwegian only.

I see. That could be possible yes. It's mostly all about having a good network if you want to spread the word of a convention across the country borders. (especially if you're a rather new con)

I'm not paying too much attention to Norwegian or Scandinavian conventions in general, but I believe most of the conventions (in Norway) doesn't market themselves to foreigners either. I think most of the webpages are in Norwegian only.
    It's actually quiet common in the Nordic countries (and the rest of the world for that matter of fact) that the convention website is not translated into English. It's a rather new thing among the Nordic con sites to have an English section, and usually it's either horribly outdated or only covers 5-10 small sections or articles about the convention, such as who the Guest of honor is, the ticket price and a travel guide. But it's something that is getting improved with the years.

Thank you for your replies. I'm finding it all very interesting

When I googled "anime conventions norway" it didn't didn't yield much but a couple of lower links to the theme of a con and some listing on geek calendar. -personal results were off ;j

Most people will search it up on the net(as I have found it to be) and I agree, it's pretty silent. I'd like to see posters, videos of commercials or some kind of chitter chatter about it. There's some of it inside the country but I don't see much going out. Mostly I hear about USA and Britain. I think there was like one commercial which that announcer guy did but it wasn't much but him trying to say something in bad japanese. And that's all I can remember of outside "there's a con in the summer", disregarding already knowing the site and checking on it obviously.

I was also disappointed that everything about any con in norway is only in norwegian and while I understand that, it's pretty tedious to be translating everything you want your overseas friend to read all the time, because they don't know the language. And it takes away some of the unique feeling every convention website has if you can't read it but need a friend to decipher everything for you.
    I kind of find the whole "write/speak norwegian at all times" a bit discriminating(I believe that, you might think otherwise), I've been told to stick to norwegian a lot of times, one of my earliest infractions on this forums even says that I believe. Not totally in favor of that, but hopefully with the usual vendors from canada, the states and other countries being present at the con(speaking mainly of desucon since it's the largest) and it being the seventh rendition of it all that things are looser and open for a more international crowd.

Last year I had a friend from mexico(great at english) who was on vacation in Britain and Sweden and didn't want to take the trip here because most of the info he could find about the place and everything around it wasn't in english(much less spanish xD).

I believe one of the issues with marketing themselves to the international audience is that the english of the crews and "main audience" isn't good enough to warrant having everything in english and it's certainly not spoken as much as in denmark or sweden. Plus listening in broken english is.. heartbreaking sometimes. Most conventions in scandinavia are pretty "local" in a way and even though a lot of anime and manga is subbed/translated into english only they're most likely gonna hold conventions in the country's language.

Also I'm not anyone from the desu team, I'm just some guy voicing my own opinions because I can.

Thread Information